Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Thoughts about Thanksgiving and Black Friday Shopping...

Ever since I was a small child, Thanksgiving was a day to spend with your family. It was a time to come together, share a feast and be thankful for what you had. I was thankful to have a warm home, clothes to wear, food to eat and my family. Not once, did shopping ever come up at the dinner table. I never even thought about shopping on Thanksgiving. In my opinion-everything should be closed that day so that everyone had the opportunity to spend that time with their friends and family. 

I am not sure when shopping became the norm for Thanksgiving day. In fact, the thought makes me quite ill. Black Friday held some interest at times with the sales, but usually the Friday after, I was always recovering from the Thanksgiving meal and we were putting up the Christmas tree. That day was also sacred to me, although there were others who did have to return to work... I understood that.

Shopping on Thanksgiving, having special door buster sales and anything trying to conjure up shoppers is just insane to me. Where did our faith go in this world? What happened to spending time with those that you love? Honestly, on Thanksgiving, I want to be at home, sitting on the couch, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and smelling turkey cooking in the kitchen. I really don't dream of spending it holding shopping bags and waiting in long lines. No Thank you. 

If it were up to me, I would ask that people boycott shopping on Thanksgiving day. Spend it with your family. Think about it-what would the Indians and settlers think who used the day to come together and share our land? They shared a feast and brought peace. After they worked so hard to achieve what we have today, those Indians and settlers would be very disappointed. 

We were not meant to shop on Thanksgiving day. When did America become so materialistic? Why do we even need huge screen televisions? Why do we need all of those storage containers? And why must we have the iPad or iPhone? You know what I'd rather have? My family safe with me at home. That's all I ever wan
ted. What about you?

*Read more at: 

No comments:

Post a Comment