Sunday, December 1, 2013

Please remember the REAL meaning of Christmas...


After the Thanksgiving holiday is over, many go out to the stores for Black Friday shopping

There's sales and madness, and you really see how carnal people can be. When I was a child, I never realized just how mean or selfish people could be. As I grew older, and saw the leaps people took to get the material things they wanted, it made me cringe. There are needs and there are wants. And as I see video footage and news from people fighting over towels at Wal-Mart on Black Friday-that's when you have to take things into perspective. Is this really happening? 

I in fact, know it is happening. I did partake one year in Black Friday shopping in hopes I could purchase a few things for Christmas.... Shopping on Black Friday is almost impossible unless you are a very forward person or are indeed-selfish. I saw towels and wash cloths fly through the air, jeans all over the floor and people rip boxes open like it was their last meal on Earth. I had to stand back and just think-"forget about it." Although, in those carnal moments, there was a nice person who asked me what color wash cloths I would like, (and I didn't care at that time), and she handed me some. I think she saw the fear on my face, and stepped in. That was probably the ONLY nice moment I ever had in Black Friday shopping (of course, I have only been twice in my life)...

But when you think about it, Christmas isn't about the gifts and all of these material items people are all fighting about. In fact, some years, I come to almost not like Christmas, because people have become so hooked on the shopping, sales and gifts. Christmas wasn't supposed to be about big screen televisions, iPods or the latest video gaming system...or the best cell phone deal. The last time I checked, it was about celebrating the reason we all are even here. It's about celebrating the birth of Christ!... He was born, and also crucified-He gave his life for us!... 

Christ gave us the gift of life. Without his birth-we wouldn't have been forgiven or have the opportunity for eternal life with him. That is why we celebrate Christmas....

The giving comes from when the Wise men brought gifts to show their gratitude-to celebrate the birth of our King, Emmanuel.

If you like giving gifts to people on Christmas, think of something to show your appreciation for the people in your life... Something that represents your love to them... And that doesn't mean the latest bargains, electronics or other material issues... Think about something they could seriously put to good use... Or perhaps a family is need of food, fuel or need help paying utility bills. The gift of necessities goes a long way to help people more than something off the shelf in a retail store.... 

So before you go out Christmas shopping... Think about the true meaning of Christmas...Think about the gifts that the wise men brought... How do they compare with the gifts you are giving this Christmas? What is your reason for the season? ... What gifts would you bring Jesus?...

Remember the true meaning of Christmas...and pass it on. Before it gets lost in the madness of our ever-changing society.....


*Published at BubbleWS
http://www.bubblews.com/news/1700084-please-remember-what-christmas-is-really-about

*Read a poem about the North Star that I wrote...


No comments:

Post a Comment